SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#219599 - 09/10/02 04:16 PM Re: "Mega" vs "Natural" voices.
trtjazz Offline

technic,
Sorry I missed your description in the earier thread and I now understand what you are saying,thank you.
As far as my perception of your bias it is that you seem to be seizing every opportunity to point out what you deem as inadequacies in the Tyros.
Personally, I don't care, I didn't build it or design it. I'd like to think though as we share info here, that we do so sans personal preferences, so that we can all gain and make good buying decisions.
thanks for the expanation,
Terry

#219600 - 09/10/02 04:49 PM Re: "Mega" vs "Natural" voices.
technicsplayer Offline

You are very welcome, Terry, but not inadequacies, facts.
I have no evidence but from how the designer was talking I would guess there is the possibility the mega voices may use even more wave rom than the natural voices.
The 10 mega voices are only guitar and acoustic bass at the moment. This is because the many permutations of slide, pick, twang, hit, open string etc can only be used in the backing styles by having pre-programmed commands for each sample at the specific points as the style plays, this you can program easily in a preset style.
But it is unlikely you can play the mega voices live and achieve the same effect. But as I said earlier playing the mega voices live may still be better than before anyway, I just don't see how you can provide the preset style level of control information just by velocity switching, for example, and Yamaha agreed with this.

As I said earlier, I don't care what they call the voices, I just listen and see what I like

#219601 - 09/10/02 04:57 PM Re: "Mega" vs "Natural" voices.
trtjazz Offline

tech,
I agree too, in that I don't care what they call them or who's name is on them, I'm only concerned with how it sounds and how the board is to work with, no matter who makes it.
One thing I know for sure is none of these companies make the ultimate board and by the time we get our hands on the new model....the newer model is already on the drawing board.
thanks,
Terry

#219602 - 09/12/02 05:57 AM Re: "Mega" vs "Natural" voices.
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Tyros has many new Sweet!, Live! and Cool! voices including most from the 9000 and 9000 pro. The Mega voices, 10 of them have been designed especially for creating rhythm sections, hence comprise guitar and bass sounds. Yamaha have incorporated several voices into one by the use of velocity switching and mapping of zones across the octaves. So for example an acoustic guitar mega voice in the 1st two octaves features no less than 8 different velocity switched sounds, ranging from open and closed strums to hammered strings, slides and tapping effects. In the following octaves there are pitched harmonic effects, slide sounds and other twiddly bits to essentially offer the ingredients for creating that authentic rhythm guitar sound. I've listed some of the new voices on the Tyros in the update to my Tyros page review at svpworld.com if anyone is interested.

Regards
Simon

------------------
http://www.svpworld.com

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online